Danes living abroad

You can get MitID as a Dane living abroad

If you are a Dane living abroad and want to access Denmark’s digital self-service solutions, you must have MitID.

Get the MitID app or an alternative

To be a MitID user you need to have either the MitID app or an alternative, e.g. MitID code display, audio code reader or chip. You can become a MitID user immediately, if you choose the MitID app. You cannot order MitID code display, audio code reader or chip until you start the process of getting MitID. We can not guarantee the delivery time of MitID code viewer, code reader and chip.
Get going with MitID now
How to use the MitID app and alternatives

If you do not have a NemID

If you do not have a NemID, you must visit a citizen service centre to get MitID the next time you are in Denmark.

Visit a citizen service centre

If you need help with MitID from citizen service, you must:

1. Bring your Danish passport, your Danish driving license, or two of the following three documents:

  • Personal certificate
  • Baptismal certificate
  • Birth certificate

2. Answer a series of questions about yourself (based on your information in CPR-register), to confirm who you are. To ask the required number of questions, sufficient information information about you must exist in the CPR register. This could, for example, depend on how long you have been in Denmark or whether you have a permanent address in Denmark.

It is a good idea to bring a witnesser, if the system is unable to generate enough questions or if you cannot answer the questions asked. We recommend that you bring a witness.

What is a witnesser?

A witnesser is a person who can confirm your identity in person. To be a witnesser, the person must be 18 years of age and have had MitID for more than 10 days. The witnesser must bring valid identification (Danish or Greenlandic passport or driving license) and MitID. A witnesser can witness for max 3 people within a 120 days period.

Find a citizen service center and book an appointment

Read more about getting help for MitID from citizen service

Read more about getting MitID with service and diploma passports