Cannot present myself physically at Citizen Service Centre

Request a postponement at your bank

When it's your turn to get MitID, you will be notified through your online bank. They will also tell you, when you can get MitID. If you need help from citizen services, but don't have the ability to present yourself physically before your deadline, e.g. if you have a disability, are hospitalized, etc. you should contact your bank's telephone support to request a postponement. The postponement can be requested on the grounds that you don't have the opportunity to appear at the citizen service before the deadline expires. Currently work is underway to enable the transition process to MitID once you have requested a postponement.

Find the number of your bank's phone support here

If you just need minor support getting MitID in your online bank, you can ask a relative for help.

Read more about what is acceptable help from others when you get MitID